Zootopia

16:54

This weekend I went to go see Zootopia, I was really excited about it actually, everyone I have heard from who had already seen it said it was amazing. I'm going to try and talk about this without giving any of the plot details away because it only just came out the other weekend so I don't want to spoil it for anyone.
disneyanimation:

Check out the brand new poster for Disney’s Zootopia and see the film in 3D March 4!

Zootopia is about a bunny named Judy Hopps who moves to the urban metropolis of Zootopia with a dream of becoming a police officer.

First thing to talk about is the design of the characters, one of the main reasons I first was interested in seeing this movie is the character designs are adorable (also having a fox as one of the lead characters gave me Robin Hood flashbacks and I was obsessed with that film as a child).

[The main characters Judy Hopps and Nick Wilde. Also Chief Bogo because he is excellent]

I loved the character's ways of moving, especially Judy when she is hopping about ticketing cars on her first day as a police officer. Her movement has so much life and action in it. All of the character's animation was so expressive. There is a scene I loved (which they used in the trailers) with a group of sloths. All the sloth movement is in slow motion so you can really see how animated the character's facial expression are. Trailer link - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_2E6nlnMPU

grizandnorm:

A tiny insert in the Mr Big sequence (boarded by the uber-talented Dean Wellins). #zootopia #nickwilde #judyhopps #grizandnorm #norm
Some Zootopia storyboards by Dean Wellins (http://grizandnorm.tumblr.com/post/140973487268/a-tiny-insert-in-the-mr-big-sequence-boarded-by)

The environment and prop design was also amazing. This is one of the things I will really need to see the film again to be able to talk about properly as I was so focussed on the story the first time round but Zootropolis is split up into different sections that are like different natural environments for the animals. It means that you get to see a lot of different types of environments throughout the film which is great and the props in each one fit the type of environment. I really wan't to get the art book so I can look at more of the design and concept work and talk about this in the detail it deserves.  
Zootopia concept art districts

There was also a lot of stuff at different scales for all of the different sized animals. In the police station most of the items around Judy are pretty giant compared to her as nearly all of the police are large predators, in another part of the film Judy goes into the area where all the small rodents live and everything is in miniature so that was really cool visually.



I will hopefully be able to talk about this film more eloquently and in more detail once I've seen it again in a few weeks.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Popular Posts

I'm not sure what to put here yet

Subscribe